Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Flyers lose to the Rangers again...

Well, folks... the Flyers got swept by the Rangers in the regular season... The Penguins won last night, and we have a couple of injuries from the last Penguins game... What is your confidence level in the Flyers right now?

Flyers lose 5-3, with a goals from Voracek, Simmonds, and Lilja Hartnell.

The New York Rangers clinched first place in the Eastern Conference & Atlantic with the win, which kind of implies that the Flyers will be seeing Pittsburgh in the first round of the playoffs, that is unless the Flyers take a massive dump on the last two game of the season and lose to the Buffalo Sabres tomorrow, and the Penguins on Saturday. If that happens (I certainly hope it doesn't) The New Jersey Devils claim fifth in the East, and Flyers drop to sixth. Honestly, I really don't care who the Flyers face in the first round. I whole heartedly believe that the Flyers can beat the Penguins (the record this year definitely works in their favor) and if the Flyers make that unlikely drop to sixth place the Flyers will see the Florida Panthers, a team that boasts a far worse record than the Philadelphia Flyers, but gets a mandatory higher seed because they play in an inferior Southeastern Division. I should also probably point out that there are 2 games left in most teams' schedules and the Panthers haven't clinched their division yet, and it's incredibly possible that the Washington Capitals could take that division.

I would normally not think twice about worrying about anyone in the Southeast, however, if that's how the first round shapes up for the Flyers, that means they enter the playoffs with a three game losing streak. I do not like that. As evidenced by the recent (lack of a) playoff run of our 2011 Philadelphia Phillies, being cold going into the playoffs is absolutely not a good way to enter the playoffs. Again, let's reference our 2011 Philadelphia Phillies, because they exited in the NLDS (1st round).

With that being said, I would really rather have a winning streak entering the playoffs which means let's please hope to win out the season.

Injuries:

In regards to injuries, we learned that James Van Riemsdyk should be back mid 1st round, and that Andrej Mezaros should be back in the 2nd round (I read about these two players somewhere but can't remember where, I'm trying to locate the article. However, until then Sam Carchidi, Flyers beat writer for the Philadelphia Inquirer posted it on his twitter, check it out @BroadStBull). Tom Sestito said on his twitter that he should be ready to go 1st round, but that's not an official report. As already stated by Paul Holmgren Nicklas Grossmann is out 7-10 days with a Lower Body Injury (LBI) and Danny Briere (I'm sad about this) is out indefinitely with a back contusion, or in Briere's own words Back Spasms :-( .

The Flyers have a complete day off of practice today, and face the Buffalo Sabres, who need to win to still have hopes of making the playoffs, tomorrow at 7:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment